Managed Sentinel – Alert 241
|Alert Name||VPN connections from IP addresses matching Firegen Threat Intelligence feed|
|Description||This alert will trigger when a successful VPN connection is established from an external IP address listed on Firegen Threat Intelligence feed, regardless of the Risk score associated.|
|Threat Indicator||Compromised Host|
|MITRE ATT&CK Tactics||Initial Access|
|False Positive||Browsers Adware|
Incorrect Threat Intelligence feed
|Recommendations||1. Investigate the type of traffic allowed to the malicious IP address (e.g web, dns, smtp).|
2. Manually perform a validation of the malicious IP address on external Threat Intell sources (e.g www.abuseIPdb.com).
3. Identify the number of requests within a specific period of time which could be an solid indicator of a compromised host.
4. Perform a AV/AM scan for the affected machine connecting via VPN (applicable to Corporate assets)
5. If required deactivate the VPN account(s)
6. Complete a Sentinel investigation for the same entity (IP address or user account) to understand if any other lateral attacks were completed while connecting to VPN to corporate network